Meet July’s Student of the month: Caroline Warren
1. Tell us a little about yourself?My name is Caroline Warren and I am a junior at Furman University. I have played sports my entire life – including golf, tennis, rowing and lacrosse. Because of my activity in sports, I have always known working out and staying in shape to be working out in a gym or practicing with a team. I never thought I would be into yoga, and here I am OBSESSED with it. It has truly changed my life mentally, emotionally, and most of all physically.
2. Have you done other styles of Yoga other then Bikram Yoga?I have never done another style of yoga besides Bikram Yoga.3. What made you deside to take your first Bikram Class?I decided to try Bikram Yoga with the goal to get stronger and to help my back and ankle issues. I was planning on playing golf in college, but my thoracic back injury prevented me from that. I also tore ligaments in both ankles, and broke my right heel. Thanks to Marina and her emphasis on proper technique, my back and ankles have hurt significantly less and have gotten stronger.
4. Why did you choose Thavma Bikram Yoga Studio?My mom, Julie, has been going to Thavma for a while now and she asked me to go with her one day. From that day on, I have been going multiple times a week. Thanks mom!!!
5. What was your first Bikram yoga experience like?My first yoga experience was shocking! I did not expect it to be so rewardingly difficult and healing at the same time. It was very intense, due to the heat, but you learn to love it after a few classes. Overall, I was very impressed with the yoga style and Marina.
6. What makes you come back?Not only has Bikram Yoga been physically healing, it is emotionally and mentally healing. Whenever I am having a bad day or am upset about anything, I go to yoga. Focusing on postures, thinking about Marina’s meditations, and being in such a loving environment has consistently made me feel more grateful and positive about issues I may have in my life. It has become my way to improve myself as a person.
7. How long have you been practicing?I started practicing in January, 2017.
8. What changes have you seen since you began the practice?My strength has increased dramatically, my flexibility in all parts of my body has improved, and my back and ankle issues have gotten much better. I have also opened myself up to a whole new positive way of thinking and living.
9. Where have you seen that it helps you?All parts of my life – body strength, flexibility, injury prevention, and mental health.
10. What is your Favorite pose?My favorite pose it warrior! It stretches and strengthens all parts of your body and it always needs improving! Love it!
11. What is your Least favorite pose?My least favorite pose it Loctus.
12. What do you like most about Thavma Bikram Yoga?I love the welcoming and positive environment of the studio itself, and I love all of the teachers and students! They take you in as family and they all truly care about your overall well being! It is also a KILLER workout (shoutout Marina). Fabulous place to spend your time!