Meet Thavma Premium Hot Yoga’s Novembers family of the month:
Wayne, Lucy and Dive..
1. Tell us a little about yourself.
Born and raised in Philadelphia. Met Lucy, the love and bandmate of my life there. Along with music, we created our magical daughter, Diver. We’re all in a band called Hymn For Her.
I enjoy the Bikram series and hot yoga in general, but I find the teachings at Thavma more diverse and more caring towards lower back and neck issues.
It was a test for the ego.
I am a touring musician, which means a lot of driving and I sit when I perform and don’t always eat healthy. So, I needed some thing to kick my butt.
On and off for a couple of years, but as of today, Lucy and I are at day 80 in a row.
I’ve worked through my vertigo issues. i’ve also created a stronger core and worked out some hip, back and neck issues.
I am stronger and more flexible, have more self appreciation and get better sleeps.
Camel. It used to trigger vertigo so I’m always a little apprehensive when I go into it. Also, it sometimes feels like I’m rising up into an oven because it can get pretty hot in there.
Again, the diversity. Each class and teacher are different
Thavma is one of the main reasons why sarasota is our homebase.I love doing yoga with my family. Now, If I could just get my dad to put down his whiskey and get his butt down here for a day…—
LUCY’s Answers :
- I am a musician, sound therapist, yogi, mom, animal lover, traveler and I always enjoy new experiences.
- I went through a yoga teacher training about 5 years ago and learned to teach a variety of styles. I am familiar with Hatha, Kundalini, Ashtanga, Yin, Bikram, etc…
- Many years ago, my band was on tour in the US and we were playing in Ithaca, NY. Our friend had just finished the teacher training with Bikram. He was really into it and said we must take a class. We did, and although that first class was so difficult and intense, we were hooked.
- Marina was one of my favourite teachers when she worked at a studio downtown. I love her positivity, her flow, her knowledge and care for her students. That’s why I first came.
- I can’t completely remember my first experience, but I do know I was thankful for how clean the studio was. I also liked that the classes were an hour compared to the 90 minutes I was used to and I definitely felt fulfilled.
- The variety that is offered. The excellent teachers. I feel wonderful after class and for the rest of the day. It’s my little morning sanctuary. Very spiritual, healing, cleansing and strengthening.
- Over 30 years.
- Every day is a new day. I have acceptance for where I am at any point in my practice.
- Body, mind and soul. Deep breathing. Grateful for everything.
- My favorite pose is constantly changing. But I always love the poses where I straighten my back and have my head below my heart. It brings clarity and helps everything flow better.
- I used to have favorite and least favorite poses, but I don’t anymore. They all serve a purpose and create new openings for breath and a deep connection to the heart.
- I guess just all the things I mentioned. The teachers, the beautiful studio, the clean bathrooms, the friendly students, the care that is obviously taken to keep the studio running at a top notch level. It’s all great. I’m always very happy to walk in through the front doors. When we’re away on tour, the only thing I miss is Thavma Yoga (and our dog, Figaro:).
- I have been very flexible throughout my life, but not strong. Thavma has helped me tap into my strength and build stronger muscles. The sweating, strengthening, balance, breathing, flowing… keeps ya young.
1. Tell us a little about yourself.
I’m an artist and I play piano/sing in our band and school bands. I hang out with my parents a lot because they’re pretty cool.
2. Have you done other styles of Yoga other than Thavma Yoga?
Bikram and yoga with my mom.
3. What made you decide to take your first yoga class ?
My mom would always go, so I wanted to go too. Also, carrying heavy bags and books in school puts me in pain and the only thing that seems to help is yoga.
4. What made you choose Thavma Premium Hot Yoga Sarasota as a Studio?
That’s where my parents go.
5. What was your first Yoga experience at Thavma Premium Hot Yoga like?
The teacher was engaging and I could sit out if I needed to. It was tough, but I liked it; I felt great afterwards.
6. What makes you come back?
To stay in shape, get stronger, and keep away any pain that comes up.
7. How long have you been practicing?
Occasionally with my mom since I was very young, but I’ve been taking Thavma classes for half a year now.
8. What changes have you seen since you began the practice?
Less neck/back/hip pain. Better balance, more flexible, and I hope stronger.
9. Where have you seen that yoga helps you in your day to day life?
I lift a lot of heavy things for school and the bands, so it helps to be stronger. Taught me how to maintain good posture.
10. What is your favorite pose?
Camel going all the way down.
11. What is your least favorite pose?
12. What do you like most about Thavma Premium Hot Yoga Sarasota?
Everyone’s kind there, I like how hot it gets, the studio is very nice, the teachers individually help you, and they don’t talk too much during class.
13. Tell us anything else interesting that you feel you have gained or learned since starting yoga with us?
The right way to do poses where you don’t hurt yourself in the process.