Meet Thavma Yoga Sarasota’s Student of the Month: Denise Branton
1. Tell us a little about yourself.
Married for 24 years and mother of two boys that are 19 and 17. I work part-time at Lululemon and love my job. My favorite ways to sweat are doing yoga and working out hard at Scorch. I started doing yoga 8 years ago when I was training for an Ironman triathlon. It changed everything for me!
2. Have you done other styles of Yoga other than hot yoga at Thavma?
I have done all styles of yoga over the years. I enjoy power yoga but am learning that hot Bikram yoga takes way more discipline and I love a challenge.
3. What made you decide to take your first Thavma Class?
I decided to take my first Thavma class because of Marina. I work out with her at Scorch and she’s always so kind and friendly. I knew I would learn a lot from her practice.
4. What made you choose Thavma Yoga as a Studio?
I chose Thavma as a studio because of Marina and it opened a closer location in Sarasota.
5. What was your first Bikram yoga experience like?
My first Bikram experience was challenging because of the heat. I felt like I ran 15 miles in the heat after class.
6. What makes you come back?
I come back often because it is such a challenge to complete all the different classes in the heat. All the yoga instructors are well educated and I feel like I will not get hurt because of their instructions.
7. How long have you been practicing?
I started doing yoga 8 years ago to help with recovery from triathlon training.
8. What changes have you seen since you began the practice? Where have you seen that yoga helps you?
I have seen many changes since I began yoga. I was definitely able to run faster and stay healthy while strength training. But most importantly I learned more about myself and how I can focus and power through situations more calmly. Since I began Thavma I’ve noticed I’m more lean and am really happy and relaxed after I complete a class.
9. What is your favorite pose?
My favorite pose is anything I can’t do. I’m working on camel pose so that’s my favorite for now. I feel most strong in warrior pose and feel most flexible in half moon pose.
10. What is your least favorite pose?
My least favorite pose is the one where you lean back with your knees bent and feet are on either side of you and you have to arch your back while trying to touch your head to the ground.
11. What do you like most about Thavma Yoga?
I like everything about Thavma but most importantly is how much Marina cares about her students and how well she instructs all her classes.
12. Tell us anything else interesting that you feel you have gained or learned since starting Thavma Yoga.
I never thought I could enjoy hot Bikram yoga. But since I joined Thavma I haven’t missed a Monday night class in 6 weeks. It’s my favorite workout of the week.