Meet Thavma Yoga’s December student of the month: Connie Buckler
Tell us a little about yourself.
1. I was born and raised in Kentucky. In 1981 I moved to Sarasota, a quiet little beach town at the time. I’ve been an artist since the day I discovered pencils and crayons. Today I have a 24 year business as a MURALIST and DECORATIVE ARTIST, I Teach 1st-3rd grade art and yoga, and I have a a studio in VILLAGE OF THE ARTS; STUDIO C, and I do Yoga at THAVMA. It’s a pretty great life!
Have you done other styles of Yoga other than Bikram Yoga?
2. A little Ashtanga and Vinyasa Flow
What made you decide to take your first Bikram Class?
3. A friend recommended the ‘new hot yoga’ studio in Sarasota 20 years ago.
What made you choose Thavma Yoga as a Studio?
4. I met Marina when she began teaching in Sarasota . She was an excellent and inspiring teacher. It took me a year to transfer over to THAVMA (I felt committed to my Sarasota studio. But I MISSED her!)
What was your first Bikram yoga experience like?
5. My first Bikram class was extremely challenging! 26 Postures, 1 1/2 hours in a 105 degree room was truly torture. I was stiff from being a runner and biker. Standing head to knee sent me to the floor every time . The girl in the corner off balance and nauseous, that was me.
What makes you come back?
6. I went back because I felt amazing afterwards
How long have you been practicing?
7. About 20 years
What changes have you seen since you began the practice?
8. Within the 1st couple of months I felt some beautiful changes. I went of anti-depresents and I felt my mental clarity and creativity returning . I began to naturally desire healthier foods. There was/is an on going feeling of peace and steady flow of energy with a dedicated practice of 3-5 classes / week. Bikram replaced my Running 3-6 miles/day and gave me full body strength and balance that running never did.
Where have you seen that it helps you?
9. Bikram makes it possible me to do all the things I love to do with flexibility and strength. At 59 I feel as good as I did at 39.
What is your favorite pose?
10. Standing bow
What is your least favorite pose?
11. Floor head to knee. Just because I love camel and I never feel ready to bend forward yet. Oh well. 26 postures designed for complete skeletal alignment and it’s working so I do my best to tolerate that one!
What do you like most about Thavma Yoga?
12. THAVMA is a special place. Beautifully designed by Marina and her husband Thanos , the atmosphere is so perfect. It’s ALWAYS clean and fresh, which isn’t easy with the constant flow of sweat everyday. Marina is a beautiful model for us yogi students. She carries no judgement. Old, young, thick or thin , she just loves us all. She has a real passion for facilitating optimum body, mind and spiritual well being. She really WANTS that for all of us. And she trains her teachers to facilitate with that same intention. I also enjoy her design of THAVMA RED and THAVMA BLACK. It’s nice to mix it up a bit.
Tell us anything else interesting that you feel you have gained or learned since starting Thavma Yoga.
13. Bikram design of 26 postures is genius to me. It completely aligns all the bones and strengthens all major and minor muscle groups. It stimulates the organs and endocrine system. It really is total body maintenance.
And THAVMA is the best place to do it.