Thavma Yoga’s April student of the month: Jeff Young
1. Tell us a little about yourself?
I’ve grown up here in Manatee County, blessed with three children and am enjoying a challenging career.
2. Have you done other styles of Yoga other than Bikram Yoga?
No. I was apprehensive to try any type of yoga as I had a misconception practicing yoga was not intense enough.
3. What made you decide to take your first Bikram Class?
I have a friend(in Sarasota) as well as a work colleague(in Toronto) who regularly practices and challenged me to try it after explaining some strains from running. My colleague said you will be surprised how difficult it is and you will be hooked after the second time.
4. Why did you choose Thavma Bikram Yoga Studio?
I had taken several classes from Marina before she and her husband opened Thavma. Her tempo and rhythm of instruction was encouraging and made the poses smooth. Marina chooses her teachers carefully which makes for a lot of class options. I can appreciate the compassion, humility and passion they have for their students. Their studio is inviting and comfortable to practice in.
5. What was your first Bikram yoga experience like?
A lot harder than I thought it was going to be. I pushed through it doing all of the postures and breathing like a beginner. Immediately after class, there was encouragement from other classmates, like a team would Soon thereafter, my exhaustion and headache subsided and my body felt new.
6. What makes you come back?
While I have a decent diet, I don’t have the best diet and I can feel how practicing cleanses the body inside and out. I have less, if any now, aches or pains and I’m noticeably more flexible which will prevent injury and prolong an active lifestyle.
7. How long have you been practicing?
2 ½ years
8. What changes have you seen since you began the practice?
Absence of a stiff neck and soreness of my lower back which has dramatically improved my sleep.
9. Where have you seen that it helps you?
Recuperation from running is quicker and sleep is much sounder which has notably improved thought processing.
10. What is your Favorite pose?
Separate Leg, Forehead to Floor
11. What is your Least favorite pose?
Balancing Stick on my left leg
12. What do you like most about Thavma Bikram Yoga?
The people. There’s a genuine positive energy from being there and being around the people that practice here.