Thavma Yoga’s October Student of the month : Devin Shackelford
1. Tell us a little about yourself?
I am from Parrish and work for my family at 4 Star Tomato. My family has farmed in Manatee County for over 40 years. My husband and I have furbabies that include 2 horses, 2 dogs, and a cat. I train and compete with my horses in barrel racing and our weekends usually revolve around barrel races.
2. Have you done other styles of Yoga other than Bikram Yoga?
This is my first experience with any type of yoga.
3. What made you decide to take your first Bikram Class?
I wanted to improve my flexibility and balance for riding.
4. Why did you choose Thavma Bikram Yoga Studio?
Thavma was recommended by a family friend to help improve my balance and core strength.
5. What was your first Bikram yoga experience like?
It was a bit of a shock! I had never done yoga before much less chosen to stay in such a hot room. My first class was a 90 minute class and I had picked the hottest spot in the room.
6. What makes you come back?
I like improving on my poses and increasing my stamina to hold them better or for longer periods. I really like how the instructors will adjust or speak with you to insure you are doing all your poses correctly. You feel like they have a genuine interest in your ability to improve.
I also enjoy the variety of classes. I like that depending on my mood or schedule I can choose what works for me that day. I enjoy the challenge of a 90 minute class or a 60 minute class to music. I love the Thavma Method Mix up classes where each class is unique and the poses change from one class to the next.
7. How long have you been practicing?
8. What changes have you seen since you began the practice?
I have less back pain and now only need monthly maintenance adjustments with my chiropractor. I am more flexible and balanced than before starting classes.
9. Where have you seen that it helps you?
I’ve noticed my balance has improved, which has helped to improve in my riding. My husband has noticed more muscle tone and my clothing is fitting better.
10. What is your Favorite pose?
Camel, I really like the emotional release that you get from it. It almost makes you nauseas but when you come out you feel a little dizzy but relaxed.
11. What is your Least favorite pose?
Tree!! My hips and knees aren’t flexible to complete the pose. It’s a work in progress for me.
12. What do you like most about Thavma Bikram Yoga?
I like the friendly staff and how they have a genuine interest to help their students. They nurture a supportive environment with everyone in the studio.